Wednesday, March 26, 2014

36 week update :)

Ian at Skyline with friends

4 days of hospital bed rest 

Home bed rest

My friend and hairdresser Emily made a house call! 
She cut 4 inches off and did some nice highlights and lowlights plus
my eyebrows, all from the comfort of my own bathroom!

Ian and his cousin Charlie, enjoying time with Poppy

Ian reading to his angry birds


Day 16 of complete bed rest! My heart goes out to all the mommas who have had to endure much worse, but boy, I did not see these days coming. It's been such a beautiful time to watch community rally around me, although it's much harder to accept the generosity of people than I imagined it would be. Seriously- people have done my laundry, dishes, vacuuming, mopping, setting up the nursery, cleaned my bathrooms, brought me food, just come to visit- and one friend even completely cleaned out and organized my walk in closet! I'm so thankful that I have still been able to attend meetings and administrate some things from the couch (thanks FaceTime!), but in some ways, it feels like life has just stopped. Like, I knew once baby came, I wouldn't go out for a few weeks and I would heal and rest and find our life's new rhythm, but adding so many extra weeks of isolation has made it way more emotionally draining for me.  I know, I know- who doesn't kinda dream of a few days where their only task in life is to stay laying down? First off, I'm not sick and I'm not active, so I find that if I nap during the day at all, I have a terrible time sleeping at night. I wish I could like, bank the hours of sleep for next month, but it just doesn't work that way. Second, lots of these days, Ian is around me in the living room, wanting me to play, crying and wanting mommy hugs, or needing something from mommy that I just cannot get up and give him. This also means I don't watch any movies or tv because we try to limit media around Ian at his young age.... so I'm left just laying around, trying NOT to only be counting down the seconds left until this little guy arrives!


How far along?  36weeks + 2 days
Maternity clothes? Almost sad to see them go soon. Being on bed rest means I rarely put real clothes on...
Weight Gain? +27 pounds 
Stretch Marks? nope
Sleep? Wake up at 2am and 6am every night to take the meds I'm on the stop contractions. 
Movement? Yes. Making sure I continue to feel him as we get closer each day.
What I Miss? Being able to think about things other than this pregnancy. I'm totally nesting, but only in my head because I'm not supposed to get up! I've seen plenty of women get the itch and just get antsy at the end of their pregnancies, but I'm thinking it's got to be worse for someone who is forced to just sit and not move. Reading my bible and playing music has really help alleviate some of this mental/emotion stress I've been placing on myself.  
Symptoms? Lots of contractions, pressure, and an overall feeling of HE's COMING IN 5 DAYS!!!
Food cravings? None! I've been treated to so many meals by so many friends, I'm having trouble being able to dream up what I'd like them to bring.
Food aversions? None.
Best thing this week? Getting some time with my hubby to just be honest and real about how I'm feeling. AND getting to step into a 22 month mission with my church. Even though I couldn't attend our big commissioning service, our online campus made me feel like a part of it all.
How Ian's doing with everything? He's got a count down on the wall, counting down the days to Neil's arrival. He understands as best as we can tell, that a baby is in Mommy's belly and will be coming home soon.
What I’m Looking Forward to? Meeting this lil troublemaker. He's already stolen my heart, and I haven't even met eyes with him yet.
Weekly Wisdom? I am NOT in control. See, I'd really hoped for an all natural birth. And when I found out that I definitely needed a c-section, I worked through it and totally embraced it, but then got a little too overzealous about it. I wanted to take control, to really make this "my birth story". So I researched, I studied, and I wrote a fabulous birth plan. But it turns out when you're high risk for multiple reasons, and you have an outstanding doc who's considered the best in the area, sometimes you just can't have what you want- you get what you need. So even though I don't know everything that will happen next week when they cut me open and my lil baby officially joins the human race, I am no longer clutching to the things I think "should" happen or the things that I wanted to demand simply to feel more in control- I'm just letting go. I know the God in whom I trust, I know I have nothing to fear, and I know everything will be alright!
Milestones? I'm practically there!!! 
Next Appointment? NONE!!! The next time I see my doc, he'll be slicing me open!

We are ready for you baby Neil! 

See you all soon- as a family of 4. We'll take all the prayers and encouragements you have for us!

L J


No comments:

Post a Comment