Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Comparison Kills

Comparison.

It creeps up in my life in all sorts of ways.

I don't mean to think this way.

I wish I had the confidence to move past this.

Do other people analyze in this same way that I do?


In my time with Jesus recently, he's really been calling me out on my struggles with comparison. I never really considered this an issue, but once Jesus called it out into the light and I was able to name it as an issue for me, I can see it everywhere. Comparing my body to others while at the pool. Comparing my kiddo and his milestones to the other kids around me. Comparing my clothes/style to the lady next to me at church or at the supermarket. Comparing my days and how they are scheduled/planned with my friends on facebook. Comparing my efforts at a pinterest project or party to what I see on that website. Comparing my voice to the other singers that I hear. Comparing my everything to everyone else's anything.

Jesus didn't call me to live anyone else's life but my own. He desires for me to be uniquely me and no one else. Psalm 139:14 says " I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made". I'm not able to praise him for who he's made me to be if I'm constantly comparing myself to others, longing for just a bit more skill when I cook, or grace when I dance, or money, or beauty, or whatever I seem to be longing for in the moment.

Jesus is doing a huge work in me in this area. I know he can give me the freedom to walk through a room of people and be thinking about them and their hearts, instead of myself. I know he can give me the courage and confidence to boldly speak in His name, instead of being worried about little old me. He is my defender and He can heal all of my insecurities.

I hope you know He can do the same for you.







No comments:

Post a Comment