Friday, January 18, 2013

Celebrating 3 years! We're Getting Away!

Tonight is the night! For the first time since baby Ian came along, James and I are heading out, just the two of us! Now James has gone camping a time or two and I attended an overnight leadership retreat in August, so we have done the overnight away thing, but this will be the longest that both of us, at the same time, are away from the little man.

I'm sure he's going to do great. He gets to spend the time with his Memaw and Papaw, who will probably hold him way more than I get to in any given day. He's gonna be so spoiled!

I've heard from a few of my friends that they have trouble getting away like this- and I think it's super important to MAKE it happen.  Usual excuses include -baby won't take a bottle- baby night nurses a lot- no trustworthy sitter- job won't allow time away- baby is colicky-no money or place to go- etc. But I find that it's so important for parents to get away every now and again, to get back to their relationship roots, to enjoy a long conversation without cries or interruptions. It doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't have to be a long trip- But if you are reading this right now, and you can't remember the last time you and your spouse enjoyed at least 5 hours out, together, being YOU- I challenge you to make a plan to make this happen soon! Trust me, you'll be glad that you did.

For us, we are checking in to a bed and breakfast, leaving our smart phones and ipads behind. We'll enjoy a fun evening staying in - hopefully playing a board game or two before playing other games that require nothing at all :)wink wink:) - Then in the morning, we'll get the free, homemade breakfast before heading to a Spelunking tour at Mammoth Caves. Not quite the crazy hikes and camping that we'd love to be doing, but an adventure non the less. I'm praying the tour won't be too strenuous for me with my disease, but I know I can push through anything for 4 hours.... ( Baby's labor was 24 hours, but that's a whole other post for another day) Hopefully I will have a pic or two to share when we return.

One more pic of the babe, just because I will miss him for sure!

            And one of us on our wedding day, since that's what we are celebrating! 1/16/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment