Thursday, March 28, 2013

Feeling Good and Ian's Cabinet Organization

I haven't been blogging/talking much about Dermatomyositis lately. It's because I'm on another round of steroids. As much as I hate them for their side effects/taste/cost/etc, I forget I am sick when I am on them. I feel amazing- energized and strong. I look amazing- complexion clearer and no swelling or itchy rash. When I am on a quick taper, I feel like the real me. I'm not worried about the disease and I can focus on my family. We go to the park, we eat out, we enjoy the time we spend together. My arms aren't sore from carrying Ian around, my legs aren't tired from going up and down the stairs a few times.   I don't constantly want to nap and laze around.

Trouble is, the cost of my meds just went up. Here's the deal- The pharmacy used to pay 100dollars for the bottle of pills... so that meant I payed 70. When I went to pick them up this time, they said that they now pay 1,000 dollars for that same bottle of pills, and I would need to pay 700$!!!!!
What?     WHAT?????  
 My husband was able to bargain with them because they didn't let us know before they had filled the prescription, but the next round I take will be worth its weight in gold apparently. Sigh. The real issue is that I take a special steroid because I am still breast feeding my son. Only one company makes this drug, so that's why they can pull a monopoly on it and make me pay out the wazooo for it. So my other option is to begin to wean my son earlier than maybe I would have hoped or that would come natural for us, just so I can save the money for my meds. Which is more selfish? Which is the lesser of the two evils? I still don't know how it will turn out, but I'm happy I don't have to make that decision today.

As for my Paleo diet, I think I made it 45 days straight with no cheating. Not a single deviation from  very strict, clean eating. Then I spent a few days allowing a few things I hadn't before, like corn and rice flour products. Most days I've been trying to eat a Paleo breakfast and lunch, but maybe branch out a little for dinner. The diet became a little obsessive for me, and it really made our grocery bills skyrocket for NOT giving me the anti-inflammatory, go-into-remission results I was looking for. The diet did teach me lots of self control, and I am happy to report that I have only gained 1 pound back of the 11 I lost. My goal is to continue to eat smart for my body. When I choose gluten free and dairy free options, I do really feel a difference, so I will try to make those choices more often.

In other news, I'm still on an organizing kick and trying to knock out at least one huge project a week. If everything in your house has a place, it's so easy to put it back together and keep it clean on a daily basis. Today's project was Ian's cabinet. It's a cabinet to the right of the oven, where I'd been keeping Ian's bottles, medicines, breast pump accessories, and random things. Plus some kitchen items somehow wound up down there too. Now that Ian needs less bottles and more sippy cups, I thought I should update the cabinet and make it more functional. Here's how it turned out.




Nothing crazy about this cabinet, but it was one of those places where I would literally just open to door and throw something towards the back, hoping it wouldn't fall back out.


Nothing snazzy looking, but in the tupperware on the left are clean bibs. The tupperware on the right contains all of the little containers that hold Ian's baby food when I make it with the Baby Bullet. They used to just clutter the counter once they were clean but waiting for food. In the cinnamon roll crunch box, you can see my saran wrap, parchment paper, aluminum foil, and wax paper. They all fit in there perfectly! Now maybe I should wrap that box to make it look a little cuter. And then on the top shelf I have some sterilizer bags, a pack of boogie wipes, and a row of sippy cups. I removed all of the medicine that was in this cabinet and now store it with our adult medicines, up high on a shelf in a closet. I love that everything in this cabinet is kid friendly, so I can let Ian destroy it some days and it's fun for him and a place I no longer have to worry about it. Again, I know this project looks boring and lame, but this cabinet was bothersome and now is functional. What projects have you been putting off that might make things easier for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment