Sunday, March 24, 2013

Voices

Tell me this: Who are the voices that really matter in your life? Like, the people you can't wait to share any good news with? Or the people who's opinion really matters to you? Who do you call when you need an encouraging word? Or whose criticism can cut to your core?
I've spent the weekend trying to determine who the voices are in my life that speak the loudest, and how those voices gained such power in my life in the first place.

It's obvious that I really value what my husband has to say about me. I want him to think I'm smart/pretty/helpful.  It matters a lot that my mom thinks I'm capable. I want her to be proud of me, to think I'm making good decisions and working hard for my family. I want my friends to think I'm an amazing mom- able to juggle it all with grace and calm; I want my bosses and leaders to think I'm valuable- smart, dependable, needed. I want, I want, I want so much to feel loved, special, captivating, unique.

But what happens if these voices were to fade away? If my friends were no longer there for me, if my family couldn't affirm me in the way I desire? Would I still be worth it? Would I still be enough?

Yes. Yes I would be more than enough. Who I am is not defined by what others have to say about me, what I think others are thinking about me.

Here's what God says is true about me:

"Don't be afraid, for you are deeply loved by God. Be at peace; take heart and be strong!"
Daniel 10:19

"The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren't small, but you are living them in a small way. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!"
2 Corinthians 6:12-13

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly"
Matthew 11:28-30

I'm so thankful that Jesus' voice is the only one that actually matters. That I don't have to believe any lies the enemy may try to speak over me. If you think you're ugly, you're worthless, you're undeserving, you're stupid, you don't measure up- ask yourself where you got that idea from. You can't possibly be all things to all people. You aren't meant to carry the burden of striving and straining for things far beyond your reach. Ask Jesus who HE made you to be, what HE wants you to do- and let those other voices be silenced.


No comments:

Post a Comment