Monday, February 4, 2013

9 Months Old!!!

Ian had his 9 month check up today. Cannot believe my little guy is 9 months old already. Been out in the world longer than he was inside of me baking. Time is just flying!


19lbs, 15oz (45th percentile)
29 1/2 inches long (70th percentile)




Ian takes 2 naps, has 4 momma feedings/ 3 solids feedings, loves bananas and sweet potatoes, sleeps from 9:00pm to 7:00am, loves his bright orange ball with tiny spikes, petting his kitty and dog, riding in the back of the double stroller with a friend (he likes to rub the kid's head in front of him!!), tapping on his toy drum while singing (ok, screaming). He still wears cloth diapers often, still loves to cuddle, and still does not crawl.



He was really into the paper

Ian is one of the most content babies I have ever met. I mean, as long as conditions are right (aka clean diaper, has had his nap, is fed) this kid is happy. He will sit in one place for a long time just playing with one toy. He will lay in one place just patting himself with both hands. He will put his own pacifier back in,  he will spit up and not cry about it. Words cannot express how cool this kid is.


I'm not quite sure what is nature, and what is nurture. My pediatrician said it's obvious that I'm doing a great job, which was nice to hear for sure. All a mom can really do is gather the best information she can; whether from friends, books, experiences, etc.- and put what she believes into practice.
A few things I've done that I feel have helped include:

- Get baby on a schedule. At just a few weeks old, I made sure we never missed a feeding, we developed some patterns in our days, and that Ian could start to anticipate what would come next. Even though some days we may be traveling, I might have been at work, or something crazy happened- I tried to make things as consistent for him as possible. We started out with a 3 hr eat/play/sleep and moved to a 4 hr eat/play/sleep at around 6 months. Ian woke up, got a diaper changing, had a meal, played hard for about an hr, went down for a nap, then repeat.

-Do what you are called to do. Now this rule seems to negate the previous one, but I really felt like after about 8 weeks, I needed to let Ian know that I was in control. This is not a method of "Cry it Out" per se,  but a"I will not let crying stop me from _________" method. What I've seen a lot is that a baby, especially a first baby, will keep parents from going out with friends, getting to church, finding time to read or paint or sew, taking a date night, or even stop a mom from showering daily because baby is fussy, hungry, needy, can't be alone........ .........PLEASE DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR BABY, but do know that you are allowed to put baby in the swing, securely locked in, and use the restroom. You are allowed to shower while baby sleeps safely in the crib. Take baby to the grocery, take baby out to eat, go where you need to go, get your baby used to being a part of your family, not the center of it. It's ok to check baby into the church nursery or the gym daycare and take time to replenish yourself. Just like any other job, you will BURN OUT if you aren't taking care of you. Your baby needs a healthy, happy momma!  I think I was 4 weeks post partum when I begged to be back in my serving role at church, needing to think about something other than diapers and bottles and spit up.

-Savor each moment. Whether your experience has been super sweet and easy, or a colicky or sick baby has been what you've had to struggle with, soak each day in. On the easy days, try not to wish for the next milestone and push your baby before he/she is ready. On the tough days when the crying just won't stop, put your other chores aside and rock that baby, love on that baby, and remember this too shall pass. The days are long, but the years are short.

-Ask for help. When you first have a baby, people shower you with gifts, bring you meals, and beg to do anything for you. Often times, you don't quite know what you need help with yet, and just crave sleep so bad that you tell everyone you're great so they'll go away and you can get some shut eye. Parenting is tough, and you are never off the clock, so learn when to call in reinforcements. In the beginning, I kept a running list of chores and projects I was trying to complete. That way if someone asked if I wanted help, or came over and offered a hand, I knew exactly what they could do.  Be genuine with your mom friends- they know what you are dealing with. I love working out a mom swap with a pal, I watch my kid and your kid for 6 hours today, you watch both tomorrow. Know who your resources are and don't be afraid to use them!



Have a blessed Monday!






No comments:

Post a Comment