Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day Review

Ahh Valentine's Day. An arbitrary holiday that most wish could go by unnoticed (for lack of money or lack of love) but each year it sneaks up on us and the greeting card salesmen rejoice.

I have lots of friends who like to dub Valentine's Day as "Single's Awareness Day". A day when storefronts and facebook posts seem to rub in your face the fact that you are single.

I have other friends who wait eagerly for their husbands to come home, dreaming of the special surprises that wait, only to get angry when their man has a meeting run late and comes home empty handed.

Still there are others who forget that it's Valentine's Day completely and when they receive a special card or gift from someone who cares for them, they are truly grateful.

This year, I covered all 3 categories. For Single's Awareness, Ian's outfit says it all. For hoping my husband would surprise me- I did have a little hope in the back of my mind for just a simple something; and he delivered ( balloons and a cute headband)! And for the special gift- I received dark chocolate covered Strawberries and Paleo banana nut muffins from two gals at my bible study, trying to love on me in a special way because of this diet!!

The best part of the day was getting to spend most of it at my church. Now if I haven't said it enough- I love my church. And getting to attend the women's bible study (called Engage) in the morning and the recovery group (called The Mat) in the evening was just the way I wanted to spend such a holiday. Only when we know the source of true and perfect love can we even begin to love others in a way that means anything at all. I want to love in a way that aligns with how Jesus loved. It wasn't always sweet, or kind- Jesus didn't avoid conflict. He simply told his friends and followers the Truth. And Jesus helped his friends in REAL ways, like telling them when and where to cast their nets to catch fish or raising Lazarus from the dead. Can you imagine what it would have been like for the disciples if Jesus had just said, "Call me if you need anything"! They wouldn't have even known what to ask for or had the guts enough to ask for it. So this week I'm keeping my eyes open to the needs of those around me and jumping in to help wherever I can.



Enjoy the pics and tell me all about your Valentine's Day!






 (no, I did not eat the chocolate bar!)






No comments:

Post a Comment